Wednesday, November 2, 2011

AMAZING PUMPKIN CARVING ARTIST





About a week ago in New York Botanical Garden, an amazing pumpkin artist, Ray Villafane presented his carving out of a huge pumpkin. Ray used two pumpkins in the process of building this magnificent pumpkin creation. The first pumpkin was 1,683 pounds based on top of of a 1,815.5 pound pumpkin. Ray used his first large pumpkin to carve a large zombies. The detail of the zombies were how I would vision  zombies, and the use of the guts of the pumpkin on their head and hands I think is a great way to add detail. The zombie crawling theme of the pumpkin carving was perfect for Halloween, many zombie lovers thought the theme was very appropriate. I wish I could have gotten the chance to visit Botanical Garden to see the worlds biggest pumpkin carved. I enjoyed stumbling upon this because I'm an artist myself, with the specialty in sculpture. I liked to see what different types of material artist create their final pieces out of, wether it be out of clay, steel, or a rare short lasting pumpkin. Spending hours on this giant pumpkin zombie carving I would really be upset when the pumpkin started to rot. Hard work like this is only going to last in a photograph and just visited in a park. As the pumpkin rots, however I think the zombie would look more dead and have more death zombie characteristics. Maybe next Halloween instead of just carving faces, and designs into my pumpkin I'll take more time and create something like this. Seeing more artistic subject matter like this opens my mind to make my own creations.



No comments:

Post a Comment